Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Deciding to Pump

Medela Freestyle Breast Pump

Breastfeeding is very important to me.  I decided when I was pregnant that I was going to breastfeed, and gosh darn it, I was going to stick with it.  Fortunately, Tommy and I had no problems connecting.  He had a wonderful latch and seemed to figure things out pretty easily.  The only issues we had were the nurses giving their advice.  Everyone had their two cents to give and no one thought the other person's opinions were correct.  Needless to say, I had to wait to feed Tommy after the nurses left the room. 

I started to use my breast pump the day we got home from the hospital.  I was so engorged that I was crying.  Half of the nurses told me to wait and the other half said it would be fine to start pumping early.  It's amazing how no one seems to agree when it comes to raising a baby.  After making a decision with Tom, we decided it couldn't hurt to start pumping immediately.

My first breast pump, yes I said first, was the Lansinoh Double Electric Pump.  I used this particular pump for about 5 months.  I really liked it and it did the job.  After about a month I had enough milk frozen to last a couple days! I was so proud.  Actually, when Tommy was a little over 3 months old, Tom and I went on a small vacation while Tommy stayed with Memaw.  I was so proud because I didn't have to supplement with formula.  

At 4 months, Tommy figured out that he can "chew."  It got so bad that I dreaded nursing Tommy.  I was so disappointed in myself.  It broke my heart.  After doing my research, imagine that ;), I decided that I could strictly pump and feed Monkey breast-milk from bottles.  The problem that I ran into was that it took 20 minutes to feed Tommy and then 20 minutes to pump using my Lansinoh pump.  I spoke with my pediatrician and looked up tons of reviews and decided to purchase the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump.  This pump allows me to pump and feed Tommy at the same time.  Since the Freestyle pump is hands-free, I can do other minor tasks while pumping.  I would highly recommend it.  

I have been pumping and bottle feeding for about a month now and it has been working great.  I haven't noticed any decrease in my milk supply.  After pumping every 3 hours, I have been able to express about 36 oz a day.  And once or twice a day, I drink a tea designed for breastfeeding mothers, in order to keep my supply up. 
 
When you set your mind to something, you can do it.  In most cases, no matter what the circumstance there is a way to feed your baby breast-milk.  I want to thank my family for being such a wonderful support, especially my husband.  He has purchased products when I need them and always provides the support that I need. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment